Non-occupant homeowner's insurance, often referred to as PNO in French for Propriétaire Non-Occupant, it allows a homeowner to protect a property that he or she does not occupy in person.

What is a non-occupant landlord ?

It is the owner of a property which is put in rent. But a property not occupied by its owner is not necessarily rented. It can also be vacant, i.e. without any occupant, for example during the period of time between two rental contracts. The property not occupied by its owner can also be offered to a third party free of charge.

Non-occupant homeowner insurance

The properties, apartments or houses, where you do not live are valuable real estate investments. These assets must be protected against possible losses, such as fire, water damage, vandalism or natural disasters. These disasters may not only alter the value of the property that you do not occupy, but they may also be costly. The cost of repairs will be your responsibility if you are not insured. These same losses are also likely to render the unoccupied property unfit for the use you intend (e.g. rental property). PNO insurance offers you a solid protection of your unoccupied property thanks to a group of included essential guarantees. Guarantees that you can enrich with multiple options for a coverage adapted to your situation.

Is non-occupant owner insurance mandatory ?

Non-occupant owner insurance or PNO insurance is legally mandatory only in certain cases. If the property you do not occupy is located in a co-ownership, the PNO insurance is mandatory since the ALUR law of March 2014. This compulsory non-occupant owner's insurance guarantees your civil liability as a co-owner, even if the property is occupied by a tenant. It thus guarantees your possible tenants, neighbors or third parties, of damage that could be caused by your property. On the other hand, if the property is not in a co-ownership, the non-occupying owner insurance or PNO insurance is not an obligation. However, it is highly recommended to preserve the integrity of an important element of your heritage.

Non-occupant homeowner's insurance : the properties concerned

The non-occupying owner home insurance or PNO insurance concerns all types of real estate. It can be a house, an apartment, a mobile home but also their annexes such as a cellar. The properties you want to insure with a PNO insurance can be furnished or unfurnished.

PNO insurance: what happens in case of a claim ?

If a loss occurs in the property covered by a PNO insurance, you just have to declare it to your insurance company when you notice it. You will benefit from coverage, under the conditions provided in the contract and according to the level of coverage you have chosen. For example, a non-occupant owner can be covered in case of Fire caused by an electrical incident ; A water pipe leak causing damage to the insured dwelling or a neighboring dwelling when the insured dwelling is involved; Theft by break-in or attempted theft of your insured property in the insured property.

The different options of the Non-Occupant Homeowner insurance

The non-occupant homeowner insurance offers a wide range of useful options to ensure that your property is protected to the fullest extent.

Don't forget also : The guarantee of loss of rent, following a guaranteed disaster. Relocation of my tenants in case of disaster. Legal protection for landlords and owners, particularly in the event of unpaid rent

By clicking on "I agree", you authorize the use of cookies to ensure you get the best experience on this website.

Learn more I agree